Rinsing of the nasal cavity in Proetz
The method of washing according to Proetz or "Cuckoo" - a procedure performed to treat most inflammatory diseases of the paranasal sinuses and nasopharynx.
Conducting "cuckoo" creates such conditions that allow you to safely clean the nasal structures from pathological discharge (pus) from the nasal sinuses, resulting from the inflammatory process, after which the patient may notice a significant normalization of nasal breathing and accelerate recovery. Proper and timely lavage, prevents the premature appointment of antibiotic therapy to such groups of patients as children, allergy sufferers, pregnant/nursing mothers.
When is the procedure indicated?
Nasal lavage according to Proetz is indicated for patients with the following pathologies:
- inflammation of the paranasal sinuses (sinusitis, frontitis, sphenoiditis, ethmoiditis);
- rhinitis of prolonged genesis;
- inflammation of the adenoids.
What are the contraindications?
The main contraindications to nasal lavage according to Proetz:
- allergic reactions (drug intolerance).
- epilepsy, mental disorders;
- tendency to bleeding, against the background of blood diseases associated with its low coagulation;
How is the procedure performed?
- Directly by an otolaryngologist, who in the process of collecting medical history, determines the indications and identifies possible contraindications in each case.
- During the examination, the doctor assesses the need to remove the edema by applying drugs to the nasal mucosa (adrenalization).
- The patient assumes a horizontal position and tilts his head 45 degrees, and the doctor with a syringe begins to slowly and smoothly pour into one nostril of the patient a warm, sterile solution, which is prepared individually for each patient immediately before the procedure.
- At the same time from another nostril by means of vacuum suction the doctor removes a solution that is entered together with pathological allocation. The session lasts no more than 10 minutes, then the procedure is repeated with the other half of the nose. During the procedure, the patient exhales "Ku-ku": due to this feature of the procedure, which gave it its name, mucus (pus) and the solution itself for rinsing, does not get into the throat.
- After treatment, it is recommended not to go outside for another 10-15 minutes, so that the remnants of the solution are completely drained, and full nasal breathing is restored.
To achieve the greatest therapeutic effect of nasal lavage is a course of 5 sessions.
What are the possible side effects?
This procedure can cause the following side effects:
- slight headache;
- short-term ear congestion (after the first sessions);
- burning sensation in the nose.
You should not try to conduct a "cuckoo" at home, as this can cause serious complications.