Magnetic resonance venography is a precise, non-invasive technique used to detect deep vein thrombosis. This diagnostic procedure allows you to obtain images of blood flow in the affected and normal veins, to reveal the presence of organic, mechanical damage, signs of hemorrhage. Venography helps to determine various anatomical variants of the development of venous sinuses and pathological anastomosis, stenosis, and occlusion of blood vessels, vascular malformations, venous sinus thrombosis. The advantage of MRI of cerebral venography is the ability to obtain thin sections or create a three-dimensional image of the blood supply in the desired area. It is also possible to isolate individual vessels in the corresponding projection of the investigated part of the brain.
When is cerebral venography scheduled?
Doctors recommend this study for the following indications:
- the presence of headaches of unexplained etiology;
- memory disorder;
- hearing or vision impairment;
- loss of consciousness;
- decreased concentration of attention, and other symptoms indicating the presence of vascular pathology.
Contraindications to venography may be:
- foreign metal objects in the body;
- the presence of pacemakers, insulin pumps, ferromagnetic or electronic transplants;
- the first trimester of pregnancy;
- heart valve prostheses;
- cochlear implants;
- nerve stimulants.
How is the procedure carried out?
The patient does not need to undergo special training for the MRI of the venography of the head vessels, there is no need to change the habitual lifestyle and diet, all prescribed medications can be taken.
Venography of the cerebral vessels is usually performed for about 20 minutes. The patient lies down on the couch, his head is placed in a special helmet. For convenience and achieving immobility, the head is fixed with rollers. After that, a scan is started, which does not cause any particular inconvenience to the patient. The procedure is completely safe and painless.
It is possible to conduct cerebral venography for a patient in Kyiv at an affordable price in the Dobrobut network of medical clinics. Our center is equipped with the most advanced technologies in Ukraine, which helps to most accurately diagnose pathological changes in the cerebral circulation. You can sign up for the procedure, as well as clarify its cost, by calling our call center.
- Dr Balint Botz - MR cerebral venography. Published online, 02 August, 2021.
- Glenn H. Coltman - Magnetic resonance angiography of the cerebrovascular system. Published online, 1 December 2001.
- Magnetic Resonance Angiography (MRA) and Magnetic Resonance Venography (MRV). Published online, 25 March, 2021.