Braces for children
A bad bite or crooked teeth are quite common problems, which according to statistics are observed in 80% of children. Often they cause psychological discomfort in the child or contribute to the emergence of complexes. However, it is important to understand that uneven teeth are not only a matter of attractiveness but also a serious threat to health. Attentive parents who care about the health of their child's teeth should be sure to consult an orthodontist to identify or eliminate orthodontic problems in a timely manner. The most effective method of treatment of pathological occlusion is the installation of a brace system - a fixed orthodontic structure.
What problems will the installation of braces to the child solve?
- congestion of teeth;
- enlarged interdental spaces;
- improper closing of jaws and teeth;
- occlusion anomalies;
- changes in the inclination or location of the teeth in a row.
How do braces work?
The principle of operation of the bracket system is based on the mechanism of action of weak pressure forces and the memory function of the metal arc. A bracket (lock) is glued to each tooth, in which the arch is fixed. The orthodontic arch is made of metal with shape memory, and when installed in an uneven row of teeth, it presses on the teeth and pulls them, trying to return to the original correct shape. The arch is periodically changed, its material thickens, while the force of pressure on the teeth increases, and after a certain period of time the dentition is aligned.
At what age can a child be fitted with braces?
Installation of braces for children is carried out from 12-14 years because it is by this age that the bite is finally formed. This period is considered optimal for the correction of pathological occlusion, as the dental system of adolescents is more susceptible to deformity than in adults. If there is a need for earlier orthodontic treatment, dentists use removable plates, caps.
Types of braces
Modern braces can be selected for almost any request, aesthetics, and price. Depending on the method of installation there are:
- vestibular braces - orthodontic structure is attached to the outside of the dentition;
- lingual - are installed on the inner surface of the teeth. They are just as effective as classic braces, but they are not visible at all, so there are no aesthetic problems when worn.
According to the material of manufacture, there are:
- Metal - the most popular type of braces. They are distinguished by a fairly democratic cost, reliability, and guaranteed effect, but they are visible on the teeth, so they are not very aesthetic.
- Ceramic braces - a highly aesthetic type of construction, almost invisible on the teeth. The locks are selected according to the color of the enamel, and the arc can be painted if desired. Of the disadvantages: the color of the braces can darken from the paint products, the efficiency is slightly inferior to metal.
- Sapphires are the optimal solution for demanding patients, as braces are completely transparent, their color is as close as possible to the natural shade of teeth. The disadvantage of sapphire braces may be the price, which is relatively higher than the nominal value of other braces.
Depending on the method of attachment, there are ligature and self-ligating braces. Ligatures are braces with connecting elements - rubber or metal ligatures that connect the arch and plates. Ligature-free braces differ in their structure: ligatures are absent, and arches are fastened by means of sliding clamps. When wearing self-ligating braces, the time interval between regular visits to the orthodontist increases, and the duration of treatment as whole decreases.
What is needed to put braces on a child?
For starters, you should consult a pediatric orthodontist. The doctor will examine the oral cavity, take fingerprints from the jaws, if necessary, prescribe additional research methods (radiography, CT) and select the child the most optimal and effective type of braces. Before undergoing orthodontic treatment, it is necessary to treat all inflammatory diseases of the oral cavity and carious processes.
The duration of treatment varies depending on the case from 6 months to 3 years.
The well-being of dental clinics in Kyiv invites patients of all ages to consult an orthodontist and select the most appropriate methods of correcting pathological occlusion. Our specialists are highly qualified dentists with many years of experience, regularly improve their knowledge and techniques by attending conferences both in Ukraine and abroad. We will help to create a child's dream smile and add confidence in their attractiveness. Trust the professionals!
- Khan H. Orthodontic brackets. Selection, placement and debonding. 1st ed., 2015.
- Treatment & Brace Types, Orthodontics for Adults, BOS Homepage
- Л.С. Персин «Стоматология детского возраста. Ортодонтия», 2016г.
- D. Millet, R. Welbury. Orthodontics and Paediatric Dentistry, 2nd ed. 2010.
- Dental braces, Tests & Procedures, Patient Care & Health Information, MAYO Clinic