After tooth extraction, over time, the bone tissue begins to atrophy, and it becomes impossible to carry out the dental implantation procedure due to the lack of bone volume - it simply cannot hold the implant. Dobrobut Dental Clinic specialists in Kyiv offer a solution to this problem - sinus lifting. The operation is a rather complicated procedure, but for our experienced doctors, nothing is impossible. In our dentistry, you can rest assured of the result of the treatment - we have performed several hundred successful sinus lift operations and we continue to do it every day.
What is a sinus lift?
A sinus lift is a bone augmentation surgery using the space of the maxillary sinuses. Due to the anatomical features of the structure of the facial bones of the skull, this intervention is performed only on the upper jaw. During the operation, the specialist raises the floor of the maxillary sinus and lays the osteoplastic material, which gradually grows into its bone tissue, returning the bones to their previous height and width. Sinus lift effectively solves the problem of bone tissue atrophy and makes it possible to install a dental implant.
Types of sinus lift
There are two types of sinus osteoplasty: closed and open.
A closed sinus lift is performed with a bone tissue thickness of 7-8 mm. The technique involves peeling off the mucous membrane of the maxillary sinus, making a hole in the gum with a special cutter, and filling it with osteoplastic material. In the absence of contraindications, the root of the artificial tooth is immediately installed in the formed bed.
An open sinus lift is performed through the lateral approach to the maxillary sinus. The peculiarity of its implementation consists in making a hole in the form of a "window" that opens inward in the lateral wall of the maxillary sinus. After the introduction of the bone material, the hole is closed with the detached part of the bone and gum, on which a suture is applied. Installation of an implant is possible only after a long recovery period (4-6 months).
What method of sinus lifting is suitable for a patient can only be said by a specialist after a comprehensive diagnosis.
Sinus lift surgery: indications and contraindications
The main indications for sinus osteoplasty are:
- insufficient volume of bone tissue to fix the implant (height less than 6-8 mm);
- prolonged absence of a dental unit and, as a result, pronounced bone resorption;
- anatomical features of the maxillary sinuses;
Contraindications to the procedure are:
- acute infectious disease;
- chronic diseases in the stage of decompensation;
- violation of blood clotting processes;
- oncological diseases subject to chemotherapy;
- exacerbation of antritis and maxillary sinusitis;
- pregnancy and lactation;
Preparing for surgery
The process of preparing for a sinus lifting operation includes a dentist consultation and comprehensive diagnostics to assess the condition of the bone tissue and maxillary sinuses, to identify indications and contraindications for the operation. The patient must undergo an examination of the oral cavity by a doctor, pass general clinical laboratory tests, do an x-ray or spiral computed tomography to build a 3D model of the upper jaw, and develop an operation plan. It is also recommended to consult an otolaryngologist to study the anamnesis for the patient's diseases of the ENT organs. A few days before the operation, the patient is prescribed antibacterial drugs to avoid the development of complications.
How is sinus lift performed?
Bone augmentation surgery is performed under local anesthesia or medication sedation and includes the following steps:
- making a small hole in the gum and bone tissue located under it;
- peeling off the mucous membrane from the bone, which makes up the bottom of the nasal or maxillary sinus, and pushing it up with a special tool until a cavity of the required volume is formed;
- filling the cavity with artificial or autogenous bone material. As a rule, bone material of animal or synthetic origin is most often used in practice. Autogenic material can be taken from the chin or the bones of the lower jaw of the patient, which requires additional surgical intervention and is a more traumatic procedure;
- suturing the gums or installing an implant (depending on the method of the operation).
The total duration of the intervention usually does not exceed 20 minutes.
After the operation, painful sensations in the wound area are possible, swelling and temporary numbness in the intervention area may appear. During the first days, the temperature may rise to subfebrile numbers, the appearance of hematomas. It is worth noting that this is a normal reaction of the body to surgery, and symptoms will begin to subside within 3-4 days. To relieve symptoms, your doctor will prescribe pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs.
Recommendations after the procedure
Since sinus lifting is a rather complex surgical intervention, it is worth adhering to some restrictions:
- during the first hours after the operation, you can not eat or drink;
- it is forbidden to touch the wound, try to wash it yourself;
- it is not recommended to visit baths, saunas, take hot baths;
- exclude heavy physical activity;
- do not drink alcohol and limit the number of cigarettes.
Subject to all the prescriptions of the attending physician and careful, but delicate, oral hygiene, the rehabilitation process will take place quickly and without complications.
The cost of sinus lift surgery in Kyiv
For each specific case, the cost of a sinus lift may differ. The following factors influence the price:
- the cost of diagnostics and blood tests;
- operation method (open, closed, balloon, ultrasonic);
- method of anesthesia;
- the price of the bone material used.
In Dobrobut Dental Clinic dentistry in Kyiv, the operation of jaw bone augmentation for dental implantation (closed or open sinus lifting) at the most affordable price in Ukraine will be performed by the best specialists of the capital with many years of practical experience. We offer European-level service with the ability to make an appointment at any time convenient for you, seven days a week, as well as the use of modern diagnostic, medical equipment, and high-quality bone materials. Sign up for a consultation with a doctor on our website!
- Shalu Chandna Bathla, Ramesh Ram Fry, Komal Majumdar - Maxillary sinus augmentation. Published online, December 2018.
- Tsai, Chia-Fang; Whei-Lin, Yi-Ping - Comparison of 4 sinus augmentation techniques for implant placement with residual alveolar bone height ≤3 mm. Published online, November 13, 2020.
- Alana Biggers - Everything to Know About a Sinus Lift. Published online, January 4, 2021.
- João de Paula Martins, Álvaro Nagib -Efficacy and safety of maxillary sinus lifting with various types. Published online, March, 2020.