Polydactyly is a congenital abnormality of the hand or foot in which there are one or more accessory toes. Pathology can manifest itself in isolation or combination with other congenital anomalies of the musculoskeletal system - hip dysplasia, brachydactyly, syndactyly, flexion contractures of the fingers, and others. Polydactyly is usually not accompanied by pain, but it has some negative consequences, such as impaired function, and sometimes problems with blood circulation, the function of sensory and motor nerve endings. In addition, as they grow up, the child begins to compare himself with other children, which can cause psychological discomfort and problems with adaptation in society.
Types of pathology
Depending on the location of the additional fingers, a distinction is made between:
- Radial polydactyly or accessory thumb.
- Ulnar or postaxial polydactyly - characterized by the presence of an additional fifth finger (little finger).
- The central poly-finger is a doubling of the finger located between the first and fifth.
The tactics of treating polydactyly include surgical intervention. The method of surgical correction of multi-fingers depends on the type of deformity and can be:
- removal of an additional finger without surgery on the main finger;
- resection of the accessory toe with corrective osteotomy of the main toe;
- removal of an accessory toe with skin, tendon, or bone grafting.
With a timely operation, the outcome will be favorable and the pathology will not have time to affect the development of limb motility.
The Dobrobut network of medical clinics invites patients to carry out the surgical correction of polydactyly in Kyiv at an affordable price. Our surgeons have extensive experience in performing such operations on children, and the center is equipped with the most advanced technologies in Ukraine, which helps to most accurately diagnose pathological changes. You can sign up for a consultation with a specialist, as well as clarify the cost of treatment, by calling our call center.