Aortography is a method of visual diagnostics of the state of the aorta, in which a special radiopaque substance is injected into it, which makes it possible to examine the section of the vessel on an X-ray machine. Angiography of the aorta and its visceral branches, allows you to detect stenotic changes (areas of narrowing) or aneurysmal areas (areas of expansion) of the vessels of the abdominal and thoracic cavity due to atherosclerosis, compression of the vessels by a tumor, blockage of the lumen of the vessels by a thrombus. This examination technique makes it possible to detect pathology in the shortest possible time and determine further operational tactics.
The indications for cardiac aortography are:
- suspicion of aortic aneurysm;
- stenosis of the mouth of the vessel;
- patent ductus arteriosus;
- insufficiency of the aortic valves;
- congenital anomalies of the aorta;
- damage to the branches of the aorta with their blockage;
- suspicion of a tumor of the aorta or nearby organs;
- preparation for cardiac surgery.
Contraindications may be the presence of pregnancy, an acute infectious process, a severe chronic illness in the stage of decompensation, and an allergic reaction to a contrast agent.
Preparing for aortography
Special preparation for aortography is not required, however, since the examination is carried out using a contrast agent, it is necessary to make sure that there is no allergy to iodine components. It is recommended to refrain from eating and drinking at least 4 hours before the procedure.
How is the aortography procedure performed in Ukraine
Before the start of the procedure, the patient is injected intravenously with iodine-containing contrast, which rapidly spreads through the bloodstream. Then the patient is comfortably placed on a special mobile table that moves into the tunnel of the X-ray machine. During the examination, you must lie still, otherwise, any movement can reduce the quality of the images. Throughout the procedure, the patient communicates with the doctor through an intercom.
The total occupation time is about 15-20 minutes, after which the patient is issued a medical certificate and a disc with the results of the examination. The procedure is a fast, safe and painless method for examining the condition of the aorta.
You can perform aortography in Kyiv in the Dobrobut network of medical clinics. We use the latest expert-class equipment and high-quality contrast agents, and the cost of our services is affordable in comparison with prices in Ukraine. Our highly qualified specialists will take care of your comfort during the procedure and ensure the maximum accuracy of the examination. Entrust your health to professionals!
- Aortogram and Aortography. Published online, 2021
- Donald C. Oxorn MD, Catherine M. Otto MD - Aortography - Intraoperative and Interventional Echocardiography (Second Edition), Published online, 2018.
- Mary C Mancini - What is the role of aortography in the workup of aortic dissection?. Published online, July 24, 2020.