Sweating is a physiological function of the human body, the main task of which is to participate in the processes of thermoregulation. However, there are often cases when excessive sweating disturbs even in a state of relaxation, at normal air temperature, for practically no reason. This situation indicates the presence of hyperhidrosis - an individual feature of the human body, in which there is a hyperfunction of the sweat glands. Modern medicine has found a way out: endoscopic sympathectomy is the "gold standard" in the fight against excessive sweating. The essence of the operation is to stop the flow of impulses along the sympathetic fibers, which leads to a decrease in sweating. Endoscopic sympathectomy has a short recovery period and does not leave visible scars or scars on the skin.
Types of hyperhidrosis
Based on the etiology of hyperhidrosis, the primary and secondary forms of pathology are distinguished. The primary one has a genetic factor of occurrence, and, as a rule, manifests itself even in childhood. The secondary form arises as a result of any changes in the functioning of the body: this type of pathology can be physiological, associated with changes in hormonal levels (for example, during pregnancy, with menopause, etc.), or be a symptom of infectious diseases, endocrine disorders. or the nervous system.
Depending on the area of the lesion, there are:
- Generalized hyperhidrosis - characterized by excessive sweating from almost the entire surface of the body.
- Local hyperhidrosis is a condition in which there is excessive sweating in certain areas (axillary, plantar, palmar, facial, and inguinal-perineal).
Hyperhidrosis treatment methods
If stopping excessive sweating with the help of cosmetics is ineffective, then it is necessary to choose one of the treatment methods that will be most effective for a particular patient, depending on the individual characteristics of his body. In addition to the operation of endoscopic sympathectomy, hyperhidrosis is treated with:
- anticholinergic drugs - their effect is aimed at blocking the signal from the nervous system, which helps to reduce sweating;
- iontophoresis - procedures using electric current and saline solution;
- injections of botox or Dysport - provide a temporary cessation of the functioning of the nerve responsible for the secretion of sweat;
- laser treatment procedures - involve the destruction of sweat glands under the influence of a laser.
Indications and contraindications for endoscopic sympathectomy
Operation sympathectomy is performed for hyperhidrosis of the palms or feet if other, non-surgical methods of treatment are ineffective. In addition, sympathectomy may be indicated in the following situations:
- with Raynaud's disease;
- blushing syndrome (stress facial redness);
- reflex sympathetic dystrophy of the upper extremities.
Among the contraindications to the procedure are:
- acute infectious diseases;
- chronic diseases in the stage of decompensation;
- pregnancy and lactation;
- violation of blood clotting processes;
- the presence of pustular skin lesions in the area of intervention.
Preparing for surgery
The preparation process for the intervention includes a specialist consultation and several laboratories and instrumental examinations. It will be necessary to pass a general blood and urine test, a biochemical blood test, a coagulogram, electrocardiography, and a chest x-ray. In some cases, an ultrasound scan of the abdominal cavity is indicated. It is worth informing your doctor about all medications you are taking on an ongoing basis and any allergies you have to anything. On the eve of the operation, it is recommended to refrain from eating and drinking for 8-10 hours before the intervention.
Endoscopic sympathectomy can be performed with excision of the sympathetic trunk or its clipping (clamping with special staples). The difference in these procedures is that excision is an irreversible process.
The intervention is performed under general anesthesia. During the operation, the surgeon makes punctures up to 5 mm in diameter in the armpits or sternum. An endoscope equipped with a video camera and a light source and microinstruments is introduced through the punctures. Depending on the technique, with the help of instruments, the sympathetic trunk is crossed or a special clip is applied to it. Finally, the instruments are removed and sutures are applied to the puncture sites.
Rehabilitation after the intervention
Since the procedure is minimally invasive, the recovery period passes quite quickly. After the operation, you should adhere to all the prescriptions of the attending physician and temporarily limit physical activity, do not visit baths, saunas.
The cost of endoscopic sympathectomy in Kyiv
Specialists of the Dobrobut network of medical clinics in Kyiv will perform an endoscopic sympathectomy operation at the most affordable prices in Ukraine and will help patients get rid of the problem of increased sweating. The cost of sympathectomy surgery may vary depending on the passage of additional examinations. You can find out approximate prices for our services on the website.
Why is it worth contacting us?
Dobrobut is a network of leading medical clinics in Ukraine. In our arsenal:
- highly qualified, experienced professionals;
- modern material and technical base;
- individual approach to each patient;
- a wide range of services provided;
- loyal prices.
Sign up for a consultation with a doctor right now by calling our call center or choosing a convenient time of visit on the website.
- Thoracoscopic Sympathectomy. Last updated, 2020.
- Endoscopic Sympathectomy. Published online, 2019.
- Surgery, ETS - International Hyperhidrosis Society. Last updated, 2020.